Saturday, October 6, 2007

A True Paper-less System

We had a rather interesting discussion about hypertext during the last class session. While I don't really think too much about hypertext and the weather or not students would prefer to read that over printed text, I do know that I have been trying to make the switch from reading print-based to screen based text, esp. for class assignments and the like. Last year, I had a paper to write for one last class in connection with my time at UNL. I had found about 92 articles related to the topic of my readings (computers and EBD, LD and the like). I had printed out about 50 or so, but I ran out of toner and paper. This more or less forced me to read all the pdf files off the screen. At first it was hard, but gradually it was easier to manage. I found that it helped in entering my notes into the databased that I had constructed for the various areas I was focusing on in my mini-lit review.

Now, I find that the skill didn't generalize to when I am simply reading an assignment with out the purpose of formulating a paper. I have found that using Google Notebook is a great help in taking notes and practicing "active reading" without trying to write on the screen or have a mess of sticky notes around the edge of the computer. In my previous post, I linked to a video review of the XO laptop. I liked the function of how the screen rotated around and you could hold it like a piece of paper. That would definitely help with the reading of electronic documents, but I don't know about the how taking notes aspect of it. I would really like to purchase one of those. It would make a great introductory computer and the MESH networking seems like a great tool.

No comments: