Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Servitude...

For the past week, I have been looking at different systems to purchase for my classroom tech budgeting assignment. Initially, I was thinking this would be a great way to introduce Linux to the classroom. However, what I would like to do and the cost are two different realities. I thought about looking a server set-up, but the functionality of a server is so huge, meaning what can be done with it, that the price point is beyond the set budget of $1500. So, I got to thinking what is it we are trying to accomplish. The answer comes with a how lot of learning theory and other issues that are many in number and few in words. I think the answer comes in the form the XO laptop. The functionality of the computer is really key in getting students to not worry about the computer it's self. With the option of storage expansion through the USB ports, the little flash drive that's built in isn't really a set back for the students. The key thing that I like is the MESH networking piece as well as the comments that people can share while exploring the web and/or collaborating is key. With this option, I can still introduce people to Linux and the positive side of open-source options.

...OK...Wait, what about this "eee pc" from Asustek? Why do I feel like I am the last find out about this stuff?

No comments: